for print only
:: home > Maintenance

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Help protect public health and safety and the environment by disposing properly of your household hazardous waste.


What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Hazardous waste is any discarded material that threatens public health, safety and the environment due to its chemical nature. Throwing these materials in the trash or sewer system puts oceans and groundwater at risk.

Hazardous Waste Disposal

All residents of Riverside County can dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) at:

Household Hazardous Waste cannot be collected by Waste Management of the Inland Empire.

  • About HHW
  • Permanent Facilities
  • Collection Events
  • ABOP Sites
  • Guidelines
  • More Info

About Household Hazardous Waste

Some household hazardous wastes can be identified by having one of these words on the label:

  • Flammable or combustible - can be set on fire easily
  • Explosive or reactive - can detonate or explode through exposure to heat, sudden shock or pressure.
  • Corrosive - can destroy and cause burns to the skin and other living tissues.
  • Toxic or poison - capable of causing injury or death through ingestion, inhalation, absorption or injection.

Your home and garage may seem safe, but look again. If you find the following products, you have hazardous materials:

aerosol cans
automotive batteries
BBQ propane tanks

computers & monitors
cooking oil
fire extinguishers
fluorescent tubes
household batteries
latex paints

oil based paint
smoke detectors
used oil and filters

Permanent HHW Facilities (All Hazardous Waste Types)


Riverside Lake Elsinore
Facility Agua Mansa Permanent Facility City Maintenance Facility
Address 1780 Agua Mansa Road
Jurupa Valley, CA 92509
521 N. Langstaff St.
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
Hours Open non-holiday Saturdays
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
Open 1st Saturday monthly( except January & December)
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Collection Events

For additonal information, visit the Riverside County Department of Waste Management site at

Electronic waste is also accepted. Consequently, this is also a good time to recycle old televisions, computer monitors, or other electronic devices. For additional information, please call the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program at (800) 304-2226.

Special note: The HHW event will close during periods of inclement weather or if unsafe conditions exist for the public and event staff.

Please note: Beginning in 2013, maximum chemical load has increased to 15 gallons or 125 lbs. per trip (California State Law maximum transportation limitation).

* Events will close during inclement weather or other hazardous conditions.

For questions regarding HHW events, please call (800) 304-2226 or (951) 486-3200.

Riverside County Events

Mobile Events
Mobile Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) events are held regularly throughout Riverside County and are free to Riverside County residents. For any questions regarding future HHW events, please call (800) 304-2226 or (951) 486-3200.

ABOP Centers - Antifreeze, Batteries, Oil (and Filters), & Paint (Latex) Only

The following ABOP sites collect only Anti-freeze, Batteries, Oil and Latex Paint. They are open on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and are closed on holiday weekends.*

Palm Springs
3000 El. Alejo Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262
(Hours from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., July to September)

25315 Jefferson Avenue
Murrieta, CA 92562

* Closed during inclement weather or other hazardous conditions.

HHW Event Guidelines

  • You may bring up to 15 gallons of a hazardous waste liquid or a total of 125 pounds maximum per car/per trip (enforced by CHP); however multiple trips are allowed.
  • Containers shall be labeled with the name of the liquid and secured to prevent leaks.
  • Collection sites will close during rain or excessive wind storms.
  • Events are for residential use only; No business or non-profit waste.
  • No 30- or 55-gallon drums allowed.
  • The following waste cannot be accepted at any Riverside County HHW collection facility:
    • Ammunition, appliances, asbestos or other remediation waste
    • Compressed gas cylinders greater than 40 pounds
    • Explosives, infectious or medical waste other than home-generated sharps
    • Radioactive waste
    • Non-residentially generated waste
    • Waste generated outside of Riverside County